Friday, March 7, 2008

Etcetera

When I was in the college radio biz, a British dude I worked for turned me onto the Wedding Present, and consequently Cinerama, both great projects by David Gedge. David Gedge is a little like a British Stephin Merritt, prolific in pop songs and catchy melancholy. My favorite of his is this track called "Your Charms." The late John Peel was also a huge fan of David Gedge's, and remarked what he loved about his songs was the way they sound like he was just rambling at you over a pint instead of singing actual lyrics. This track I think is a good example of that, especially in the chorus: "And darling, I just can't think clearly/It happens when I'm in your arms/And my heart is pounding/How pathetic is this sounding?" The track is also a reference to early girl-group pop from the late 50s and 60s, when the word "charms" was substituted in for the word "sexy prowess" (see: The Supremes' "Nothing But Heartaches": "I can't break away from his charms/I can't break away from his kiss/'Cause his kiss I shouldn't miss...") Well played, Gedge!

No comments: