Monday, March 10, 2008

Up From the Deep

I've been listening to so much Bruce Springsteen lately that I've been getting to hanging to some corners that I haven't been to before. Sometimes, a certain artist enters you life like a wave and then recedes. Later waves come further up yr beach revealing new benthic treasures.

With heavyweights like Dylan , Young and Springsteen there always new special songs that you never expected, or were hiding in plain sight in their vast oceanic catalogs.

Lately I've been hooked on the song 'Jackson Cage' from 'The River'. Lord, would this be fun to see live. I love the combo of dueling Wurlitzer(?) organ and piano. Funny, to me, melodically and structurally this song seems very much like something Elvis Costello would do. I can easily hear him singing it.



It must feel awesome to be on a stage buffeted by a loud organ on one side and a crisp piano on the other.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice first verse ...

Driving home she grabs something to eat
Turns a corner and drives down her street
Into a row of houses she just melts away
Like the scenery in another man's play
Into a house where the blinds are closed
To keep from seeing things she don't wanna know
She pulls the blinds and looks out on the street
The cool of the night takes the edge off the heat