Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Karakatu, AL

Last November, I moved from one corner of Matthews Park to the other, which now means to get to my bus in the morning, I need to transverse said park. Pythagorean noted that on a triangle, vertices A, B, and C, it's shorter to travel the hypotenuse than the length of the two other sides. So, I cut straight through the park in the mornings, snow boots crunching through the ice and drifts. Lately it's been as "cold as hell" as my Chinese lab mate would say, and the snow is actually packed and frozen in a way that I can almost float atop the snow icing covering the entirety of the park. But I'm just a little too heavy to stay on top, and so with every step, my feet break through the top of the snow, like a spoon cracking through the burnt top of a freshly-flamed creme brulee. It makes that exact sound too - "crack crack crack crack." Except no moist pudding inside.
When it's cold like this, it makes me feel good and triumphant inside. I recently fell in love with that Stephen Malkmus song "Phantasies," and I sing the first part of it when I'm cracking through the snow. "Woke up early in Karakatu Alaska *crack crack* Put our masks on, and welcome the dawn *crack crack* It's cold as shit! It's always that way/it gets to 99 below..."

No comments: